8/23/17 - REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT IS NOW CLOSED
Abbey Art Works presents the daylong ‘Arts at the Abbey’
“Arts at the Abbey,” a daylong spiritual and immersive art experience on the grounds of Saint Joseph Abbey, will feature a talk by Professor James Patrick Reid, M. Div., artist and former instructor at the New York Academy of Art and the Art Students League. Reid, whose commissioned work can be found on the walls of churches nationwide, is currently on faculty at the Fashion Institute of Technology/SUNY.
Reid’s lecture, “Invisible Things Clearly Seen: The Spiritual Dimension of Art,” will draw the audience into a study of masterpieces throughout history, including the sacred art of Dom Gregory de Wit, O.S.B., a Dutch Benedictine monk commissioned in 1946 to execute a series of murals at the Abbey. Reid is a member and has spoken at the Catholic Artists Society at the Catholic Center at NYU as well as at universities across the country
Co-sponsored by Abbey Art Works, “Arts at the Abbey” takes place Friday, Aug. 25 and includes a full day of activities curated by Abbey Art Works artist-in-residence Lyn Taylor. Attendees can tour de Wit’s murals, attend a unique hands-on experience on the secret drawing techniques of Leonardo Da Vinci, and visit ABBEE Honey, the beekeeping operation at the Abbey. The cost for the day is $25.00 (includes lunch) or $15.00 for the lecture only. Registration is recommended by visiting www.saintjosephabbey.com/arts-at-the-abbey. The Abbey is located at 75376 River Road in Covington, La.
Sign-in for “Arts at the Abbey” is from 9-10 a.m. The schedule is as follows:
- 10:00 - visit the Honey Hut. Meet ABBEE Honey’s Jeff Horchoff for a tour of his beekeeping operation and a honey tasting.
- 11:15- Visit Abbey Art Works. Hands on art opportunity. Experience Leonardo Da Vinci’s secret drawing technique.
- 12:15 - Tour of Dom Gregory de Wit’s murals in the Abbey Church
- 1:00 - Lunch in the Student Refectory
- 1:45 - Tour of de Wit murals in the Monks’ Refectory
- 2:30 - Guild of St. Luke Lecture: “Invisible Things Clearly Seen: The Spiritual Dimension of Art.” Presented by guest speaker James Patrick Reid, M. Div. Abbey Church.
- 4:00 – Reception and Exhibition at Abbey Art Works studio.
“Arts at the Abbey” is what is hoped to be one of many signature events, classes and lectures held throughout the year at the Abbey as part of the Guild of St. Luke, a new membership outreach program of Abbey Art Works, launched October 18th last year, the Feast of St. Luke, considered by some to be the patron saint of artists. The feast day also celebrated the new permanent home of the studio in the Abbey’s Old Chicken Coop. The Guild of St. Luke is open to all, including arts organizations, professional artists, teachers, working artists, patrons, collectors, scholars, historians and philosophers. Visit saintjosephabbey.com/guild-of-st-luke for more information or to become a member.
For more information on any of these events, contact Abbey Art Works at 985-789-6889 or visit www.paintpaletteandbrush.com.